Monday, November 24, 2008

Sunday, Sunday, Sunday

A dear friend of my grandma's, Flora, passed away last week at 97 years old!  She lived in a beautiful home in Upland California.  It looked like a floral garden the way it was landscaped.  I have a few memories of Flora from taking GG to see her on various occasions.  GG said they were friends for over 30 years and that Flora was the best friend she ever had.  Isn't that sweet? They were really like the Golden Girls when they got together.  Flora always loved to have company and would make special meals and desserts for her whenever she visited.  GG often didn't like to give Flora too much notice when she would visit because she wouldn't want her to do too much, but it never mattered.  Flora was always a great hostess.

The service was Sunday at 1pm in Pomona California.  First she wasn't going to go, then she thought about flying there, then maybe she and my mom should drive, then she won't go, and so on and so forth.  Finally it seemed settled that my mom & she would drive to California on Sunday.  That would be a perfect plan, except for the fact that BJ just got done installing wood flooring in mom's ENTIRE house and the house is completely tore apart, so much so that GG has to sleep at my house for a few nights because there aren't any beds at mom & GG's house; mom is sleeping in a recliner!  So I was over at my mom's on Saturday helping her paint baseboard because GG was at my house and it was apparently driving GG nuts that I wasn't working hard enough.  She kept making comments like "Your mom could probably use you.  Is there anything I can do here?  Since I can't help you here, maybe I should go home and paint."  So I got the hint; she wanted to watch my kids so I could go paint!  I was painting when my mom sprung the question on me.  "What do you have going on tomorrow?  Can you drive GG to California so I can stay here and work?"  I say yes, of course, and just figure I'll make the best of it and head to Ikea while I'm there.  I have wanted to go the last two times we've been in CA but we've had the trailer and it's SO crowded in all the parking lots that I hate to ask BJ to go there.

So the plan is to leave by 8am on Sunday morning.  Cameron would stay with my mom and BJ, and Haley would go to Aunt Kerri's house for the day.  We leave about 7:45am and get 10 minutes away when mom calls & says the tags on GG's car are expired and she has the new sticker at her house.  I know that I could prove it later if  I got pulled over, but the truth was, I was planning on speeding and I didn't want our car to have a red flag on it if by chance I encountered a handsome CHP officer.  I wanted to be totally legal in hopes of only getting a warning if I got pulled over!  So, we turn around.  This is where GG starts to make me smile with her comments.  She says "Well, we don't have to put the sticker on, do we?"  Now, tell me, what's the point in turning around to get the sticker if you're not going to put it on?  An officer can run the plate without the sticker to confirm it's registered, so how would a sticker in my purse help?  So funny!  Also, how long does it really take to put on the sticker?  Maybe 2 seconds I would imagine.  But you know GG.  "Is BJ going to be there to put it on for you?"  Are you kidding?  It's a sticker!  I think I can handle it, but thanks for your concern.  So with a cup of coffee from my mom for GG we are on our way again.

The ride was pretty uneventful for awhile.  Then all of a sudden she jumps and says "Oh my that's hot!"  She had turned the cup of coffee upside down in her seat next to her leg and didn't realize it.  By the time she noticed her butt was soaked in coffee all the way across the seat cushion.  Oops!  Thank goodness she had on black slacks.

Ok, wet pants don't phase her.  We eventually get to the funeral home and she says she fine just being dropped off.  "Oh, there's a California license plate.  The family must be here already."   I think to myself, "A CA license plate in CA really isn't that noteworthy, but whatever."  I can't take it any longer and I remind her that we're in California and the plate wouldn't mean anything.  She says "Oh, I know.  But the family is from Frisco."  Um, ok.  Last I checked that's still California which again, would mean NOTHING as far as the plate is concerned.  Silly lady!

So now it's me time.  I head to Ikea for an hour or so and then to grab a bite to eat before heading out.  I love Ikea; who doesn't.  It was a perfect side trip for my day journey to California.

I pick up GG about 3pm and we are back on the road again.  She is telling me about sitting inside the funeral home.  She said she was sitting in a padded cushion and could feel it getting wet.  Haha.  So she has to get up, go to the restroom to try to dab some of the coffee out and then she returns to the lobby to sit on a hard chair until her butt dries.  I guess a few guests asked if she wanted to come inside and she kindly had to say no.  I think that is darn funny!  Sounds like something that would happen to me.

Rumor on the streets is that Flora has loads of money and everyone has been acting greedy the last few years just waiting for her to die.  It's a shame, but I guess it's just the nature of the beast. However, I found it funny when GG said "The nieces and nephew were there because they need to stay in good graces to stay in the will."  I've never heard of that, but I guess there's a new way to change a will from your casket these days.  My how technology has progressed!  If you don't show up to the funeral your name gets deleted from the will.  Oh my!

We made it home about 7pm after picking up Haley from Aunt Kerri's.  She immediately poured herself a screwdiver.  By the end of the night she had three!  Go girl!  It was a long day but I enjoyed it immensely.  I love that woman so much.  As quirky as she is, she always brings a smile to my face.  The few times I've been upset with her (and I can remember them because there really are so few) it never lasts long.  She is quick to apologize and make it right, or explain herself so I realize that maybe it was me that was wrong.  She is the strongest person I have ever known.  I have so much to learn from her.  She is selfless, caring, giving, loving, humble, patient, kind, respectful, intelligent, beautiful, graceful, generous and the list goes on and on.  If I could be half the woman she is I think I could be a success in life.

I am thankful for every day I get to spend with her. I look forward to our phone calls twice a day (7:15 am and 9:00pm.)  There are some days when we call and simply say "I'm calling, I'm tired, I'll talk to you tomorrow."  And that is totally fine!  We are real with each other.  She tells me I've gained weight or I look tired or my hair is messy and I am never offended because I also know she is quick to compliment me and we all need people to be real with us.  I love everything about her.

I love you GG!  Thanks for allowing me to take you to California.  I'll be sure to tell my will hopeful friends that they need to attend the funeral if they want a piece of the pie!

3 comments:

Sarah said...

hey i want your travel trailer if you kick the bucket, so i will make sure and attend the funeral! cute story your GG is too funny, glad you guys were safe and didnt have to get pulled over!

2Peas said...

You know it is impossible for a girl to put a sticker on a plate. In fact if you read the manual on boys and girls it clearly states you should ask a boy for help if you have to do apply a 2 inch sticker to a moving vehicle. Ha! GG makes me laugh, she would fall over from shock if she watched all the things I do instead of Jeff. Your relationship with her is awesome, and I know she needs you as much as you need her! Oh and I so don't want any of your stuff because I have too much of my own, but I'll still come to your funeral. That is macabre!

Y4 Momma said...

what a sweet story, I had tears in my eyes, it's wonderful that ya'll are so close, and I can tell that she must be such a sweet and wonderful person. Ya'll are blessed and she is too. Here's to more memories to share with here.